Cannot boot SD image

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
Pok

Cannot boot SD image

Postby Pok » Fri May 03 2013 - 12:07:52

I have a Sony SF-16UY (uhs-I) SD card that I would like to use with my Raspberry Pi to run Slackware ARM.
However no matter what I do, nether the image on your site nor the image on Dave's site work for me.
Upon powering up the device, the ACT (green) led lights up for about a second than nothing happens.
The card works just fine with the „official” Raspbian image.
What might be wrong?

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: Cannot boot SD image

Postby Exaga » Fri May 03 2013 - 15:07:39

Hello Pok,

Can I ask how you are writing the installer image to the SD card? Do you actually see a coloured splash screen when trying to boot your RPi or is there nothing displayed at all? In the past we have discovered that there can be issues with some cards and it's a case of trial and error in getting some of them working.

The green LED flashing once with no activity after that suggests you have a misconfigured SD card. In situations like this I have personally found that re-writing the image again can often solve the problem. I'm sure you've already tried that. Sometimes there can be problems with a bad superblock which can be troublesome. When I have a SD card which flatly refuses to boot I totally wipe it (in Linux) using the following command as root:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

NB: sdb = the designation of the SD card on the Linux system.

After carrying out this procedure I then write the installer image to the SD card once again to see if it works this time.

If you're using Windows to configure your SD card I would suggest wiping all partitions from the card and starting over, making sure when you create the 50Mb boot partition it is formatted FAT32. Maybe using a partition manager (such as EaseUS Partition Master) might be a good idea too in Windows.

You might want to take a look at a list of verified compatible SD cards so you can find one that is known to work. The list can be found here: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards. Incidentally, I do not see your Sony SF-16UY listed on there. There's also a great trouble-shooting page here: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting.

Please let us know if you find a solution to your problem(s). Hope this has been of some help to you.

Cheers,
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Pok

Postby Pok » Sat May 04 2013 - 00:27:29

Well, I have used dd than manual partitioning and copying the extracted zip file to the boot fat partition, a.s.o.
In the end I have zeroed the card (took forever - though I guess I could have zeroed only the first few sectors or so), have partitioned it manually (FAT + swap + ext4), have copied the latest firmware to the boot partition and the damned thing booted for sure.
Of course the loading of the kernel got as far as trying to mount the root partition.
Will try to „merge” the official firmware with the boot image from here and see what I get.
Will keep you updated.

Pok

Postby Pok » Sat May 04 2013 - 01:04:36

Well, I don't know what did it: using the newer firmware (and replacing the kernel + adding the initrd image and the config.txt files) or zeroing the card, but it seems to work now.
I mean I got as far as typing setup and getting the well-know Slackware setup screen :-)
I need to set up a tftp server to be able to set it up, but so far so good!
Thanks for the help.

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Sat May 04 2013 - 01:15:00

Hi Pok,

That's good news and well done on getting it working! Your efforts and hard work have paid off. 8-)

You're more than welcome to any help and advice we have to offer on FatDog.eu.

Cheers,
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

dref

Postby dref » Thu May 09 2013 - 23:15:58

Pok wrote:I have a Sony SF-16UY (uhs-I) SD card that I would like to use with my Raspberry Pi to run Slackware ARM.
However no matter what I do, nether the image on your site nor the image on Dave's site work for me.
Upon powering up the device, the ACT (green) led lights up for about a second than nothing happens.
The card works just fine with the „official” Raspbian image.
What might be wrong?

I had the same problem. Just plug a monitor in the hdmi socket and it'll work.

Pok

Postby Pok » Fri May 24 2013 - 23:44:12

I can consistently reproduce the behavior:
- if I do not replace the files start.elf, bootcode.bin the device won't boot.
- if I do replace both files with the ones in the latest firmware package, the device boots.

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Mon Nov 18 2013 - 20:02:40

Pok wrote:I can consistently reproduce the behavior:
- if I do not replace the files start.elf, bootcode.bin the device won't boot.
- if I do replace both files with the ones in the latest firmware package, the device boots.

There is a new Slackware ARM installer image available which includes the latest firmware. This installer image has been tested on all versions of the Raspberry Pi model 'B' (rev2) and boots without any problems and allows you to install Slackware ARM 14.1 successfully, as well as 14.0 and 13.37 too.

http://rpi.fatdog.eu/files/img/rpi-slackwarearm-install_16nov13_fd.img.xz - XZ image file.

http://rpi.fatdog.eu/files/img/rpi-slackwarearm-install_16nov13_fd.zip - ZIP archive.

Please report any errors. All feedback is welcome.
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”