libgcc errors on boot

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
Fonix

libgcc errors on boot

Postby Fonix » Wed Mar 26 2014 - 09:04:47

I followed the very helpful tutorial on this site and first off, I must say, well done!

After I had everything setup, I noticed that I am getting a few of the following error:

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My question is, do I need to reinstall the gcc compiler? Just it's libraries? Maybe just create a symlink somewhere? Please help!

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: libgcc errors on boot

Postby Exaga » Wed Mar 26 2014 - 10:09:51

Hi Fonix,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the Slackware ARM Raspi guide.

I have not had this error myself. Shared library file errors are strange. You could try reinstalling gcc but usually I use slackpkg for this. But I think the solution may be simpler. I'll look into it later on in the day.

Also take a look at the following page, it may offer some help to find a solution: http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Shared-Libraries.html

Cheers,
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Thu Apr 10 2014 - 07:51:09

Fonix wrote:After I had everything setup, I noticed that I am getting a few of the following error:

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My question is, do I need to reinstall the gcc compiler? Just it's libraries? Maybe just create a symlink somewhere? Please help!

libgcc_s.so.1 might be a symbolic link to another file. Does the linked file exist? You can see what the file is using by running:

ls -l /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

Also try the following command to see if it fixes anything:

/sbin/ldconfig

Hope this helps. ;)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Fonix

Postby Fonix » Mon Apr 14 2014 - 02:43:11

This has been a stumper for at least 2 weeks now. Today, I remembered that I had created 4 partitions on my SD card for Slackware:

swap
/
/usr
/boot

I realized that maybe having root and usr on separate partitions was causing issues and technically I don't need them on separate partitions. This is something that I had done on my personal server and didn't think about when setting up slackware on my pi. So, I reformatted and only used 3 partitions: swap, /, and /boot. My libgcc errors went away. Hope this info may serve others if they run into the same issue.

Fonix

Postby Fonix » Mon Apr 14 2014 - 02:45:56

As a side note, I used live ftp as my source for acquiring my packages (it's built into the setup). I was wondering why you don't have this listed as an option in your guide as you already go through the effort of setting up the internet in your guide (before even running setup). This may save people from digging for a usb stick.

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Mon Apr 14 2014 - 08:36:59

Fonix wrote:As a side note, I used live ftp as my source for acquiring my packages (it's built into the setup). I was wondering why you don't have this listed as an option in your guide as you already go through the effort of setting up the internet in your guide (before even running setup). This may save people from digging for a usb stick.

Hi Fonix,

Installing from a FTP/HTTP server is certainly an option when choosing the Slackware ARM source media during setup. If the Internet connection is reliable enough and stable there's no reason why you can't install via this method. You have a good point and there's no particular reason why we didn't include installing from a FTP/HTTP server in the guide. It's obviously something which needs adding for those who do not have a USB stick handy.

Thanks for your thoughts. 8-)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Mon Apr 14 2014 - 21:00:14

Fonix wrote:As a side note, I used live ftp as my source for acquiring my packages (it's built into the setup). I was wondering why you don't have this listed as an option in your guide as you already go through the effort of setting up the internet in your guide (before even running setup). This may save people from digging for a usb stick.

The Slackware ARM installation guide has now been updated. :geek:
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”