Where is gnu/stubs-hard.h in the Raspberry Pi ?

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
micctoh

Where is gnu/stubs-hard.h in the Raspberry Pi ?

Postby micctoh » Wed Dec 03 2014 - 12:44:40

Hello and Greetings !,

I have just installed Slackwarearm-current on a model B Raspi with the 16 Nov 2014 installer and have done the slackpkg upgrade-all and rpi-udate and is now functioning on k 3.12.33+ . uname indicates that the raspi is installed with armv6l and I therefore assume that it uses hardware floating points.

Am trying to compile ffmpeg from AlienBOB's slackbuild, but the process is stuck at building x265 because /usr/gnu/stubs-hard.h is non-existent on my installation. The stubs-soft.h is there. Hence x265 compilation bombs out at this point.

the file /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h was generated at installation of the gcc-gnu package as such :

Code: Select all

if !defined _ARM_PCS_VFP
            include  <gnu/stubs-soft.h>
           if defined _ARM_PCS_VFP
            include  <gnu/stubs-hard.h>
            endif

I am asking here first, because it's probably more likely that someone here has encountered this before.

Also, in x264 compilation, I had to disable-asm in the configuration stage to get the process to compile, but that is related to the slackbuild script and I probably should seek help from AlienBob.

VLC also 'successfully' compiled (from AlienBob's slackbuild script and assembled dependencies ) in a 23 hours-long process, but I am not able to run it on the xfce desktop, beyond getting an initial frame of a video file (avi, also mp4) because of memory-exhaustion?

I am probably hoping for too much from this little marvel of RASPI !

Would anyone kindly assist ? :D

mike.

Edited 4Dec 2014 :

I have just looked at Mr Winter's explanations of Soft/Hard Floating point support in linuxquestion.org of 2 Aug 2014, who explained about Slackware ARM ( ARMedSlack previously ) being ported from Slackware as a soft-float thing.
My apologies for asking this question here. I should have looked further in linuxquestion.org's ARM section !

So, if I really want to get hard-float support ( and use multimedia on Slackware-ARM ) I would have to recompile a few non-trivial packages including a re-worked gcc !

Do I have any alternatives ? maybe. In Rasbian, I could apt-get install ffmpeg ( albeit a different version with less support, perhaps an old-fork as well).
But like all old Slackers, I'll stick with Slack-ARM and await further work from AlienBob & Co. ... there's so much more other Raspi stuff to do in Slackware-ARM. It follows that my other comments about vlc and x264/x265 are all mis-conceived, and I apologise.

mike.

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”