Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B (NEW)

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
linicks

Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B (NEW)

Postby linicks » Fri Feb 06 2015 - 17:41:52

Does anybody know if the Slackware arm version will run on the new Raspberry?

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-new

Thanks,

Nick
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B (NEW)

Postby Exaga » Sun Feb 08 2015 - 12:42:03

Working on it. :D
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Sun Feb 08 2015 - 15:24:02

Excellent!

Thanks for all the hard work!

Nick

EDIT: and right on queue, this fascinating story:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/08 ... sh_glitch/

kab

Postby kab » Sun Feb 15 2015 - 03:22:20

Well I give this a go on the weekend, fully expecting it to fail and it did!

My assumption is that the current kernel used for Slackware on ARM doesn't have support compiled in for the new hardware? I did copy over some of the new firmware and the Kernell7.img from the newest firmware folder and it does boot, however I'm guessing because it doesn't know about the ram disk file it's just panicking on start up? I guess I could try to cross-compile on my x86 box a working kernel & initrd combo for Arm7 but I'd probably fail :D

Hope your having better luck than me! thinking of using the Model 2 as a webserver, save on power and help me secure my main server by moving nginx & webfacing stuff off of it. :S:

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Sun Feb 15 2015 - 05:16:28

Hey Nick & Kab, 8-)

Well, I have Slackware ARM current fully installed and running on the Raspberry Pi 2 model B. FINALLY! :D

For 9 days I've struggled with an issue where the system would boot but each time it made the rootfs read-only due to corruption. No matter what I did, it would keep coming back. Yesterday afternoon, someone (who knows infinitely more about Slackware ARM than I do) gave me a tip that I need to turn off fsck at boot. So, this hint eventually lead me to fstab and then I realised what was happening...

Code: Select all

# nano -w /etc/fstab

/dev/mmcblk0p3     /     ext4        default      0   1

The 6th option was set to "1" which meant fsck was run at boot every time. It needed to be set to "0" to disable fsck. I cannot believe I missed this for so long when trying to find a solution and it turned out to be a very simple fix. I'm laughing about it now but at the time I was rather upset. As you might imagine. LOL :lol:

So, Slackware ARM is running interestingly well on the RPi2. At the moment I'm compiling a new Slackware ARM installer by hand, but this is just for testing purposes. I'm probably going to create a whole new automated build process, eventually. And that will take time.

Cheers,
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Sun Feb 15 2015 - 12:24:17

Well done for having a go at this both of you!

Exaga, my guess is the SD Card has it's 'dirty bit' set, as I found that on all my initial installs that happened - thus fsck wants to run (but you turned it off now).

If you see this message in boot logs:

FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

you can clear it with (REMEMBER to change to the proper dev/name on your Pi):

sudo fsck.fat -V /dev/mmcblk0p1

and you will get:

0x25: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action

Obviously choose option 1.

Nick

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Sun Feb 15 2015 - 17:30:28

linicks wrote:Exaga, my guess is the SD Card has it's 'dirty bit' set,

0x25: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action

Nick

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me, Nick. The system says it's fixed when I choose option 1 but the corruption is still there. I need to use this to fix it:

fsck.fat -trawl /dev/mmcblk0p1
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

kab

Postby kab » Sun Feb 15 2015 - 18:06:41

Cool, so you guys seem way ahead of me, but then I am a total novice with ARM and the Raspberry Pi, though I've used Slackware for years on x86 I don't have any familiarity with cross-compiling or preparing to for deployment to ARM arch. I might give Arch Linux or RedSleeve a try though I only really use and like Slackware but it's something to do in the meantime I guess as there is no way I will be much help on getting Slack running on Model 2 considering my novice status. I'll wait for you to release your new build system I think!

Good luck guys, I'll keep on this thread and see how it develops if there is anything I can help with, like testing or whatever just ask.

:S:

linicks

Postby linicks » Sun Feb 15 2015 - 20:20:54

Exaga wrote:
linicks wrote:Exaga, my guess is the SD Card has it's 'dirty bit' set,

1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action

Nick

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me, Nick. The system says it's fixed when I choose option 1 but the corruption is still there. I need to use this to fix it:

fsck.fat -trawl /dev/mmcblk0p1

Ummm. Right. something else is going on then. I wonder what? And usually fsck is so conservative it shouldn't/wouldn't stop a good partition boot up - but we know it's good as it works.

I wonder if there are other flags that make it report a bad partition? Was there anything in logs?

Nick

linicks

Postby linicks » Sun Feb 15 2015 - 20:26:39

kab wrote:Cool, so you guys seem way ahead of me, but then I am a total novice with ARM and the Raspberry Pi, though I've used Slackware for years on x86...

Kab, I have been using GNU/Linux since 1999, and Slackware from about 2002 - I am still a novice - everyday you learn something new, or a better way to do something.

The very fact you use GNU/Linux though makes for a better experience and shows you care.

That's all that counts.

Nick :)
P.S. My Wife, her sister, and my 83 year old father-in-law all use GNU/Linux in one form or another (Ubuntu, linuxmint etc). I got them trained ;)

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Tue Feb 17 2015 - 21:30:32

kab wrote:Cool, so you guys seem way ahead of me

Don't make it sound like it's a competition, or a race. :lol:
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

kab

Postby kab » Mon Mar 02 2015 - 02:04:34

Hehe,

I didn't mean it like that, just meant I don't have any experience with working on Slack with the ARM Arch!

:)

:S:

DarkSky

Postby DarkSky » Sun May 31 2015 - 23:09:14

I installed slackware on my raspbery pi 2 B and it works great following the guide.

My only problem is I can not seem to find a graphical web browser: only the terminal based lynx. I had to use lynx over 20 years ago when I first started with linux and was glad to get away from it as linux progressed.

Is there a default graphical graphical web browser that gets install with the initial slackware arm install?

Thanks

linicks

Postby linicks » Mon Jun 01 2015 - 20:01:24

Darkstar, that is a bloody good question - there appears not to be one (it seems iceweasel is available for debian types, but that isn't any good).

I just spent 30 minutes googling, and there is nothing. I have four Pi's (one of which is the new Pi 2), but run them all headless - so I have never investigated this before.

I have built firefox in the past on my Slack amd64 box (it takes ages). I may try to do a build and see how it goes on the lowly Pi 2.

Nick
Edit: Just a thought - I don't install the KDE* stuff... I wonder if that includes their browser 'konqueror'?

DarkSky

Postby DarkSky » Mon Jun 01 2015 - 23:07:50

linicks wrote:Darkstar, that is a bloody good question - there appears not to be one (it seems iceweasel is available for debian types, but that isn't any good).

I just spent 30 minutes googling, and there is nothing. I have four Pi's (one of which is the new Pi 2), but run them all headless - so I have never investigated this before.

I have built firefox in the past on my Slack amd64 box (it takes ages). I may try to do a build and see how it goes on the lowly Pi 2.

Nick
Edit: Just a thought - I don't install the KDE* stuff... I wonder if that includes their browser 'konqueror'?

I just looked in kde and kdei and did not find it.

Thanks; it was a good suggestion though.

linicks

Postby linicks » Tue Jun 02 2015 - 17:51:22

DarkSky

Postby DarkSky » Tue Jun 02 2015 - 19:25:50

Thank you so much for your time finding this. I am compiling kernel 4.04 right now but I will give your slackbuild link a try when the compiling stops.

I compile a new kernel with modified dvb and atsc modules on all of my computers because I am heavy into viewing their streams as a hobby. Pretty much all has to be compiled from source. The modified raspian img works real well with the rpi 2 B so I am hoping everything is good when through with the slack-arm version as well.

My concern is how well will omxplayer will work with the mpeg license under the slack-arm. I am assuming it will hopefully

If you have a usb dvb or atsc device I can post the slack-arm image if you want to play with it. Here is a screenshot with it on my desktop with Slackware 14.1 viewing a tuned dvb stream:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-hVZ4SWSiuKUjhVOTJmcUNvRlU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again for your trouble you have gone through. I will let you know how the browser slackbuild turns out.

DarkSky

Postby DarkSky » Wed Jun 03 2015 - 20:47:22

Thanks a million Nick. I tried the link in the first post in the thread to his built binary and it seems to be working good except some things not showing up on my google drive page. I may have to install something or turn on something in firefox; have to check that out. May be I will not have to compile anything.

Link to a pic of my Raspberry Pi 2 B running the new 4.04 kernel, slackware-arm and Firefox as I am writing this. All that is left for me is to compile a static Qt / QWT and my dvb / atsc scanning program.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-hVZ4SWSiuKREtKaXZKS0NSbFU/view?usp=sharing

Ray

linicks

Postby linicks » Thu Jun 04 2015 - 20:06:01

Well cool now I can see the images. You are better than me building kernels on the Pi. I build my own kernels on my netbook and AMD64 without module support, as I weeded out the stuff I didn't need, but looking at the Pi stuff, I just haven't got that much time to do it.

I originally got the B2 as a back-up for my AMD64 mail server, as (lots of stuff here I can say) it just kept shutting down with nothing in the logs. It turned out it was ACPI causing it, so I turned that off in BIOS and built a kernel with no ACPI support 3 months ago - been up 100% ever since.

So I may try my own Pi kernel build one day.

Glad the Firefox build works.

Nick

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”