Slackware ARM for the Raspberry Pi 2

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Slackware ARM for the Raspberry Pi 2

Postby Exaga » Tue Feb 24 2015 - 01:03:27

SARPi2 - Slackware ARM for the Raspberry Pi 2

Website is currently being developed. There´s no installation guide (yet) but the Slackware ARM installer and 3.18.x kernel/module/boot packages are available for download.

Enjoy! 8-)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

jloco

Re: Slackware ARM for the Raspberry Pi 2

Postby jloco » Tue Feb 24 2015 - 06:21:37

Hello,

New Pi 2 user here, and I'd like to say thank you for this wonderful website!

The second I heard of the pi 2 I wondered if Slackware ARM worked on it, after finding this place I knew I needed a pi 2!

This has given me great joys since I no longer had a machine I could dedicate to Slackware and now I do. I'm still diving into the system, but slackware is the only linux I've ever used for a considerable amount of time, and in my mind it's the only linux worth using. Sad to see raspberrypi.org don't show any support for slackware on thier site. Slackware could use the love!

I'd like to point out that the vfat partition needs to be larger than 50mb to fit all the files on it. It's a fundemental step in the setup and 50mb is just not enough for the boot partition when the initrc.gz file is larger than that to begin with! And the only way to set it up on Windows is with Diskpart, the other method described does not work at all. Also, upgrading the packages would have been a lot easier had the names not changed from the 21st to the 22nd file releases. Luckily, my brain remembered the ol' '%" command line switch for upgradepkg.

All in all, very helpful resource. Could use a little more love for people coming from other OSes (OSX user looking at you), but if you aren't familiar with linux and slackware specifically, your going to have a hard time with this.

In the 2 days I've had the pi 2, I've got slackware running, building packages, wicd giving my Wi-Pi some love, sound module making some noise, ntp syncing my time for me, and rpi-update working smoothly on slackware-current.

I know Slackware isn't the newb friendly distro but some more in detail information like how to mount drives, get sound working, editing config.txt for your needs, etc... might be just the thing this site needs to get slackware recognized by raspberrypi.org. So far I am impressed with the performance of this machine, and couldn't be a happier hobbiest!

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Tue Feb 24 2015 - 09:00:47

Hi Jloco,

Thanks for your post. Glad you find this website useful.

The /boot partition setup by the installer should be 80MB, not 50MB. It is larger to accommodate the new files. Of course, you can partition your microSD card any way you like but it's advised that you write the installer to a microSD card and boot it in your RPi2.

The installation guide for Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 2 is still being constructed. If you are familiar with the installation procedure then it shouldn't be any different from what you are used to. I'm not sure what you mean by the packages being easier to upgrade if the filenames had not changed.

The SARPi2 site is still being developed. Thanks for your patience. 8-)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Thu Feb 26 2015 - 18:38:44

Exaga wrote:Hi Jloco,

I'm not sure what you mean by the packages being easier to upgrade if the filenames had not changed.

The SARPi2 site is still being developed. Thanks for your patience. 8-)

Brilliant stuff! I will buy one tomorrow especially :)

As to the file names, I don't understand what Loco means either?

What size sdcard is needed - 16GB?

Thanks,

Nick
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

jloco

Postby jloco » Thu Feb 26 2015 - 23:43:44

linicks wrote:
Exaga wrote:Hi Jloco,

I'm not sure what you mean by the packages being easier to upgrade if the filenames had not changed.

As to the file names, I don't understand what Loco means either?

What size sdcard is needed - 16GB?

Day one of the rpi2 file postings, the kernel stuff was named "kernel-rpi2-*" every file posting later they were named "rpi2-kernel-*". Upgrading those packages is not as simple as just upgradepkg rpi2-*, must upgrade each with a command line switch "%" specifying the name of the old package to upgrade with the new differently named package.

Not a big deal in the end, just something I noticed coming here looking for packages while setting the system up.

Also, linicks, 8gb card worked fine for me with a full install but it doesn't leave much wiggle room. I'd go larger, now I just need to pick up some bigger cards... anyone know if there is a limit to the size a pi2 can handle?

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Feb 27 2015 - 03:32:44

linicks wrote:What size sdcard is needed - 16GB?

I wouldn't use anything less than a 16GB microSD card for a full install, Nick. ;)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Feb 27 2015 - 03:37:41

jloco wrote:Day one of the rpi2 file postings, the kernel stuff was named "kernel-rpi2-*" every file posting later they were named "rpi2-kernel-*". Upgrading those packages is not as simple as just upgradepkg rpi2-*, must upgrade each with a command line switch "%" specifying the name of the old package to upgrade with the new differently named package.

Not a big deal in the end, just something I noticed coming here looking for packages while setting the system up.

It's no big deal to removepkg old.tgz and installpkg new.tgz either. :P
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Fri Feb 27 2015 - 08:57:42

jloco wrote: anyone know if there is a limit to the size a pi2 can handle?

I have read somewhere that it handles 32GB OK.

UPDATE: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

Also a bummer - modmypi where I buy my stuff has sold out of Pi 2's :( I will have to wait.

Nick

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Feb 27 2015 - 22:37:57

I'd recommend newit.co.uk. They ship worldwide.
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

kab

Postby kab » Mon Mar 02 2015 - 02:07:23

Amazing!

I got this running end of last week thanks to your hard work!

I installed it without X11 and stripped out most of the multimedia libs and other stuff, I now have it up and running with PHP, MariaDB and Monkey HTTP my mini webserver is well on it's way now! Also forced me to learn how to mess with the init scripts to get PHP-FPM and Monkey to place nice on start up.

Thanks for the new resources guys great work! :S:

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Mon Mar 02 2015 - 10:05:29

kab wrote:Thanks for the new resources guys great work! :S:

Thanks kab.

Glad you were able to successfully install Slackware on your rpi2! It's great to see people enjoying Slackware and making good use of the guides we have created. That's exactly the reason why the website exists.

The guide, and a few other elements, is still being updated. Bear with us. We'll get there eventually. :lol:
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Mon Mar 02 2015 - 18:31:58

kab wrote:Also forced me to learn how to mess with the init scripts to get PHP-FPM and Monkey to place nice on start up.

Thanks for the new resources guys great work! :S:

init.d (or slackware rc.d/rc.xxx) scripts are easy to use and easy to create new ones to run anything - once learnt, never forgotten. Lets hope Pat V. sticks with them and doesn't go for this systemd daemon that everybody is deriding.

http://ewontfix.com/14/

Nick

linicks

Postby linicks » Thu Mar 05 2015 - 20:00:28

Ya! My Raspberry Pi 2 arrives tomorrow with RTC, power supply etc. I also bought this intriguing case:

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/modmypi-he ... mbly-guide

So over the weekend I will do an install - need to get a 32GB SD Card yet though. This will be my backup MX mail server.

Good stuff - can't wait :)

Nick

linicks

Postby linicks » Fri Mar 06 2015 - 19:37:30

Brilliant, brilliant stuff! The guide is excellent.

This new Pi is something else - just done a full install in about 3 hours and it's so fast. The wooden case is fabulous - lovely bit of work.

Two issues - the keyboard map link in the tutorial is '404'ed (i.e. a bad link)*, and after install I get this on running /sbin/ldconfig:

ldconfig: libraries libltdl.so.7 and libltdl.so.7.3.0 in directory /usr/lib have same soname but different type.

But no big deal, I will investigate over the weekend, but any ideas?

Lastly, a big thank you Exaga for the image files, the tutorial and all the hard work! It's brilliant :D

Nick
* Although I have installed Slackware loads of times over the years, I still cannot remember if the English map is =uk or =gb :)
P.S. the RTC board I posted about in an earlier thread also works on the new Pi2

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Mar 06 2015 - 20:13:32

linicks wrote:Brilliant, brilliant stuff! The guide is excellent.

* Although I have installed Slackware loads of times over the years, I still cannot remember if the English map is =uk or =gb :)
P.S. the RTC board I posted about in an earlier thread also works on the new Pi2

Hiya Nick,

uk.map is the keymap file. I actually find it easier to leave the keymap set as "kbd=us" and change it during setup. :D

There's a list of available keymaps here. (Link is fixed - thank you! :kiss: )

I use the DS3231 RTC exclusively. I do not like to use other controllers. I'm planning on writing a short tutorial to get the DS3231 up and running easily under Slackware ARM in the near future.

I have seen the "libltdl.so.7 and libltdl.so.7.3.0 in directory /usr/lib have same soname" error too. I was going to get around to fixing it, when it vanished. I thought it had fixed itself in the new installer release (02Mar15). Did you install from this installer by any chance? Please let me know. I did a test install 2 days ago and this error never came up.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. I have to apologise for the many changes over the past 2 weeks or so. There are no more major changes planned to the installer guide or packages/installer image. The important thing is that Slackware is now available for the RPi2, and using the guide it's possible for anybody to install and run it (hopefully). :lol:

Cheers,
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Fri Mar 06 2015 - 20:42:22

Exaga wrote:
I have seen the "libltdl.so.7 and libltdl.so.7.3.0 in directory /usr/lib have same soname" error too. I was going to get around to fixing it, when it vanished. I thought it had fixed itself in the new installer release (02Mar15). Did you install from this installer by any chance? Please let me know. I did a test install 2 days ago and this error never came up.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. I have to apologise for the many changes over the past 2 weeks or so. There are no more major changes planned to the installer guide or packages/installer image. The important thing is that Slackware is now available for the RPi2, and using the guide it's possible for anybody to install and run it (hopefully). :lol:

Cheers,

Yes, I used the lastest installer today - the lib warning is still there (just tested). No big deal - I am tired now so will look at it tomorrow.

Also no apologies accepted - you are doing a brilliant job.

Slackware is No. 1 for the Pi.

Our next objective is to get all your hard work on the official Raspberry Pi pages. I will endeavour to get this done, as I know a guy that knows a Pi developer - I will knock up a mail (please message me with your preferred e-mail addy and I will cc to you).

New Pi2 is great - I just built postfix in about 5 minutes (this is going to be my back-up mailserver).

Good stuff,

Thanks,

Nick

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Mar 06 2015 - 22:05:49

linicks wrote:Yes, I used the lastest installer today - the lib warning is still there (just tested). No big deal - I am tired now so will look at it tomorrow.

Also no apologies accepted - you are doing a brilliant job.

Slackware is No. 1 for the Pi.

Our next objective is to get all your hard work on the official Raspberry Pi pages. I will endeavour to get this done, as I know a guy that knows a Pi developer - I will knock up a mail (please message me with your preferred e-mail addy and I will cc to you).

I've just been told the lib error is some "glibc wonky dooby" and it'll be fixed when the new batch of updates are released. :lol:

Don't waste your effort with the RPi Foundation. I've tried and failed over the past two and a half years to get answers. I have had one reply to my emails. The content of which is embarrassing to admit. It seems they are just not interested, to the point of avoiding discussing anything to do with Slackware.

Slackware is No.1 on any system. :S:

<edit> In fact, I will retract my previous comment and say, "Sure, harass the RPi Foundation all you like and ask them why Slackware is too old and/or hard for them." :roll:
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Fri Mar 06 2015 - 23:22:36

Exaga wrote:Don't waste your effort with the RPi Foundation. I've tried and failed over the past two and a half years to get answers. I have had one reply to my emails. The content of which is embarrassing to admit. It seems they are just not interested, to the point of avoiding discussing anything to do with Slackware.

Slackware is No.1 on any system. :S:

<edit> In fact, I will retract my previous comment and say, "Sure, harass the RPi Foundation all you like and ask them why Slackware is too old and/or hard for them." :roll:

I will not harass them - just get it added (or if why it isn't, why not?). I will win :)

"glibc wonky dooby"

Ha ha. Yes, over the years I had a few problems from dodgy glibc releases,

OK, about to mail the Pi dev.

Nick

UPDATE: OK, the mails have been sent - lets see.

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”