14.1 on the RPi 2

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
maximus

14.1 on the RPi 2

Postby maximus » Wed Jul 22 2015 - 20:30:22

Hi!

Firstly, thanks for the great work you've done on the RPi & RPi 2 guides. Very clear and concise.

I have a question about running 14.1 instead of current on the RPi 2. In the guide it states:

http://rpi2.fatdog.eu/index.php?p=getslack wrote:To successfully install Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 2 you need to download the current version of the software. Slackware ARM current contains updated files and packages which are required by the system to function properly. So when you are downloading the Slackware source make sure it is Sackware ARM current.

Can you explain what would function incorrectly if 14.1 was installed instead of current? I understand that the SOC has changed vs the RPi B+, but shouldn't the RPi2 kernel take care of the newer hardware?

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: 14.1 on the RPi 2

Postby Exaga » Fri Jul 24 2015 - 01:22:44

maximus wrote:Hi!

Firstly, thanks for the great work you've done on the RPi & RPi 2 guides. Very clear and concise.

I have a question about running 14.1 instead of current on the RPi 2. In the guide it states:

http://rpi2.fatdog.eu/index.php?p=getslack wrote:To successfully install Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 2 you need to download the current version of the software. Slackware ARM current contains updated files and packages which are required by the system to function properly. So when you are downloading the Slackware source make sure it is Sackware ARM current.

Can you explain what would function incorrectly if 14.1 was installed instead of current? I understand that the SOC has changed vs the RPi B+, but shouldn't the RPi2 kernel take care of the newer hardware?

That was written a week or so after the release of the rpi2 when current installed flawlessly and 14.1 didn't. I honestly can't remember that far back with any degree of accuracy. It's obviously out of date and needs revising. Thanks for pointing it out.
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

maximus

Postby maximus » Fri Jul 24 2015 - 07:57:50

Exaga wrote:I honestly can't remember that far back with any degree of accuracy. It's obviously out of date and needs revising

OK, I was wondering as 14.1 booted OK for me. I was without network upon first reboot, which turned out to be eth0 being renamed to eth1, but otherwise everything seems to work. I thought maybe I was missing something,

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Mon Jul 27 2015 - 11:01:36

Sadly, you are not the only one to have pointed this out, maximus. Revisions have been made and I hope that section of our installer guide reads more accurately now, with a greater degree of clarity.

Many thanks for your input. :ok:

8-)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

maximus

Postby maximus » Mon Jul 27 2015 - 13:16:26

Looks great! Again, great job on the guide, your effort is much appreciated :ok:

linicks

Postby linicks » Mon Jul 27 2015 - 21:15:44

maximus wrote:Looks great! Again, great job on the guide, your effort is much appreciated :ok:

Me too! My AMD64 machine has been slowly dying over the last 8 months - last week it died (looks like fried capacitors on the MB) but HD recovered . Now all my network runs from Slackware on Raspberry Pi's :)

Best thing ever :ok:

Nick :D
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Mon Aug 03 2015 - 19:47:35

maximus wrote:OK, I was wondering as 14.1 booted OK for me. I was without network upon first reboot, which turned out to be eth0 being renamed to eth1, but otherwise everything seems to work. I thought maybe I was missing something,

Maximus, have you by any chance installed Slackware ARM 14.1 on the RPi2 for a second time and still had the same issues with networking?
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

maximus

Postby maximus » Fri Aug 21 2015 - 14:47:36

Exaga wrote:Maximus, have you by any chance installed Slackware ARM 14.1 on the RPi2 for a second time and still had the same issues with networking?

Sorry for the late response, no I haven't got round to installing 14.1 on my other pi2 which is running current currently :D, although I'd be happy to test this if you like. Just need to move a couple services I'm running on it to another machine.

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Aug 21 2015 - 23:13:09

maximus wrote:Sorry for the late response, no I haven't got round to installing 14.1 on my other pi2 which is running current currently :D
although I'd be happy to test this if you like.
Just need to move a couple services I'm running on it to another machine.

My problem is that I cannot reproduce this error you have experienced with the network being renamed to eth1. For me it works as expected, flawlessly. I wouldn't want you to waste your time testing if you have better things to do with your Slackware ARM / RPi system. :D

I've spoken to a few friends who think this particular problem might be caused by DHCP timing out before an IP address can be established.

I'll keep you posted here. ;)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Sat Aug 22 2015 - 12:07:01

I have just hit this networking issue :)

I keep getting mysterious lock-ups, so today I reverted back to the on board ethernet rather than using a USB ethernet adaptor that didn't make any difference anyway.

This happens now (/var/log/messages):

Code: Select all

Aug 22 10:58:25 sauron kernel: [    2.861025] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth2: renamed from eth0
Aug 22 10:58:25 sauron kernel: <30>[    2.906546] udevd[95]: renamed network interface eth0 to eth2

It is something to do with the udev rules, but how to fix I don't know?

*EDIT*

I do know and fixed it up :). The cause is that I cloned the SDCard and put it in a new Pi. Of course, the network card now has a different MAC address!

Fix it by correcting the MAC address(es) in:

Code: Select all

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Nick
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

maximus

Postby maximus » Sun Aug 23 2015 - 20:23:41

Exaga wrote:I've spoken to a few friends who think this particular problem might be caused by DHCP timing out before an IP address can be established.

Ahhh. I've had this problem before, I figured it may be something to do with my router but I'm not certain. It didn't cause the adapter to be renamed, but I was having intermittent problems getting an IP lease. I can't remember the exact error messages after running dhcpcd in debug mode, but I remember adding "noarp" to /etc/dhcpcd.conf fixed this. In any case, these days I assign static IP's instead :1337:

As it happens, I'm waiting for a new SD card for a Pi2 I set up at work as a backup server running rsnapshot; the card it had died a sudden death, which wasn't entirely unexpected as it was a cheapo piece of s**t. I'll let you know what happens once I get the replacement!

maximus

Postby maximus » Mon Aug 31 2015 - 23:26:22

maximus wrote:I'll let you know what happens once I get the replacement!

Well, it worked flawlessly this time. As expected ;)

Perhaps I did something last time to cause the adapter to change from eth0 during the installation to eth1 after first reboot, although I suspect Murphy's law had something to do with it.

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”