Update on having 3rd party link to Slackware build on the Pi

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
linicks

Update on having 3rd party link to Slackware build on the Pi

Postby linicks » Sun Aug 23 2015 - 15:59:32

I just checked the Pi downloads page:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Bloody windows 10?

I just sent a snotty e-mail to my Pi contacts as to why Slackware isn't yet included, but that crap is.

Grrrr. :twisted:

Nick
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

linicks

Re: Update on having 3rd party link to Slackware build on th

Postby linicks » Sun Aug 23 2015 - 21:30:51

OK, basically, the people that run this don't really care too much. Reading between the lines, it appears that £/$ depends on what is recommended, hence how MS win10 is on there so soon.

Sigh :?

Nick
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: Update on having 3rd party link to Slackware build on th

Postby Exaga » Mon Aug 24 2015 - 00:15:38

HAHAHAH! Good luck to them with Windows 10 IOT Core. Sadly, I am repairing more systems at work that have been upgraded to Windows 10 and are now FUBAR than I can count. It might work as expected eventually, just as I expect it to do so on the Raspberry Pi 2. Windows 10 has some way to go before then. ;)

I do not pay much attention (if any) to whatever the Raspberry Pi Foundation says or does. They have shown, over time, to have no interest in Slackware what-so-ever. Nor do I find much credence in most things that are published on their website, or their forums. One of the RPi forum moderators once described Slackware as "one of those Linux systems you may find it difficult to get support for" which I find somewhat limited in truthfulness and accuracy. In fact, to put it in layman's terms, what a complete load of bollocks!

I have emailed the RPi Foundation aprrox. a dozen times about supporting Slackware. I actually had a reply to my last email requesting them to acknowledge Slackware ARM as a viable option for the RPi/RPi2 with the possibility of further promoting the operating system with its own section in their forums. The reply read, "We do not give technical support via email and you should seek help on the RPi forums with what you're looking for." I respectfully pointed out that had they read my email properly they would know I am not seeking technical support at all. Again, what a complete load of bollocks!

With the announcement by Microsoft of their intention to support the RPi2 with Windows 10 (which made Eben Upton publically cream his pants whenever Microsoft was mentioned) it seems the RPi Foundation's mandate of bringing computing back to the kids in school translates into using an ARM based single board microcomputer for all the things they cannot learn on an Intel/AMD desktop PC running Windows 10. Which is what, exactly? A complete load of bollocks, no less.

So the RPi Foundation are more than willing to embrace Windows 10 and promote it as a tool for teaching kids in schools using a Raspberry Pi. All that pointy-clicky stuff is going to assist them in learning great things about 'computing'. Right? Bollocks!

I've said it a million times before now, and I'll say it a million times again... "Slackware offers a learning curve no other Linux system can come close to. If people seriously want to learn (Linux) computing then there is no better tool. Raspbian/Debian/Ubuntu are; great operating systems, very well supported, and user-friendly, but do not require much knowledge and/or experience in order to use the system. Slackware, on the other hand, is not for NOOBS!"

Every pun intended on that last remark, btw. :lol:
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”