xfce won't start after install

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
labspencer

xfce won't start after install

Postby labspencer » Fri Jul 08 2016 - 11:06:53

Hi, new to this forum so apologies if the answer to this is somewhere else but have used the search, have just installed slackarm 14.2 on RaspPi model B, first series, followed instructions and seems to work ok, goes into prompt fine but tried to start xfce windows system with startx command but without success, screen blacks out for a minute and then just get a grey screen with a smaller grey bar on top left but no icons or right click actions available. tried KDE which looked promising at first but again seemed to fail. I have created a user and added to groups including wheel. one windows system that seems to function ok is fluxbox and manged to start konqueror ok inside it. has anyone had this issue and found a solution, when I ctrl-alt-F1 to get back to console there is a lot of stuff logged not sure if any of it is relevant to issue but could post some of it if anyone thinks it will help. issue is not huge as i want to mostly use the console but occasionally might want to use a fully featured desktop.

thanks
labspencer

linicks

Re: xfce won't start after install

Postby linicks » Sat Jul 09 2016 - 19:28:39

Sorry, can't help much here as I run all my 4 Pi's over SSH.

First start is to look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log after xfce fails and see what that reports.

Nick

P.S. Just had a thought! You are giving the video enough memory?

"You could read /boot/config.txt and look for
gpu_mem=, gpu_mem_256= or gpu_mem_512=
If not existing, then the default is 64,"

Try setting the option in /boot/config.txt to gpu_mem=256
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

labspencer

Re: xfce won't start after install

Postby labspencer » Wed Jul 13 2016 - 20:54:11

thanks for you reply, tried changing the gpu_mem setting which was on 32 to 256 as suggested but xfce still not working, probably some files missing for my user profile or a runlevel issue maybe bit beyond me at moment, no worries fluxbox will have to do for any window stuff, thanks again

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”