can't get monitor to turn on

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
glorsplitz

can't get monitor to turn on

Postby glorsplitz » Sun Aug 14 2016 - 16:48:17

I have another computer I needed to use, I disconnected the vga cable from the hdmi to vga converter from the slackware 14.2 raspberry pi,
connected to other computer, did my business, reconnected to raspberry pi, I turned off monitor and back on, monitor says "power save
mode press keyboard or move mouse", doesn't work, I know keyboard is connected caps lock light lights up.

ssh'd, /opt/vc/bin/tvservice is no help

/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -p
[E] Failed to initialize VCHI (ret=-1)

/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -o
[E] Failed to initialize VCHI (ret=-1)

Any suggestions? Thanks

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: can't get monitor to turn on

Postby Exaga » Mon Aug 15 2016 - 01:21:37

I seem to remember reading about some weird results when using a HDMI-VGA convertor with the Raspberry Pis. I'm not even sure about the specifics of the problem(s) I just remember thinking to myself 'avoid using them' if/when possible. Perhaps the following link might offer you some assistance...

https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/34512708-troubleshooting-a-raspberry-pi-hdmi-vga-adapter

It's all to do with the screen you're using and the config.txt file settings, basically.
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

glorsplitz

SOLVED!

Postby glorsplitz » Mon Aug 15 2016 - 01:34:29

Hi again Exaga

This is an old Dell 2003 monitor I had laying around. I dug around internet trying to find solution as I need to use the monitor with a couple other computers.

I disconnected the VGA cord and powered up the monitor no luck, tried monitor button combinations no luck, then I thought since I hadn't tried it, disconnect the HDMI to VGA connector waited a few minutes and there it was back to normal!

Thanks for the trouble shooting link, I saved that with all my other RPI stuff.

I'm really pleased with my Slackware 14.2 Raspbery Pi setup, thanks to you. Cheers!

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”