Adding 'wget' links for downloads

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
Kimdino

Adding 'wget' links for downloads

Postby Kimdino » Thu Sep 08 2016 - 20:35:05

Hi folks,
Not sure if this is the right place for a message like this, but unable to find a better one. A bit of feedback to improve on an otherwise brilliant system.

I can't believe its just me that is troubled by a touch of carelessness on almost all Pi related websites. That is, their offering a download link that NEEDS a graphical browser to make the download. This is okay for most computer users running powerful desktop systems, and for Pi newbies who previously never realised that a computer could be other than a MS-Windows machine. However, for the sort of people who would be using Slackware to do wonderful things with a RPi it is not only unnecessary, but often a total pain.

I am putting together a gadget around Sarpi2 that will ultimately, like many dedicated gadgets, be running headless. With this in mind I saw no point in installing an X server as X would be little more than a MASSIVE waste of space. And I'm quite at home on the CLI, as I believe most Slackers are. This cannot be an uncommon situation for FatDogs visitors?

I find I need to get a copy of 'i2c-tools' for Sarpi2. So I google (using my main computer) and find such available on a 'Click to Download' link. I can do as I've already done several times for other rpi software, i.e. a) see if adding the webpage URL to the download filename works with 'wget' (nope), b) carry on searching to find a version that can be accessed from the command line (fail again), so c) download to my main box then copy to a USB stick which can then be carried to my Pi. Easy enough, but a lot of unnecessary hassle when ALL that is needed to save this work is just to add a line with an address for wget, or git, access?

btw Sorry if this comes across as a rant, its not meant to.
Cheers, Kimdino

linicks

Re: Adding 'wget' links for downloads

Postby linicks » Fri Sep 09 2016 - 15:33:26

Ha Har! I had the same bloody fight - 'tis a pain in the bloody arse.

But! I found a way to do it with Firefox on my main computer.

Go through all the motions and get Firefox to start downloading the file, then STOP IT. Now click the download arrow icon, hover over the file that you just started downloading, and then right click on that and select 'copy download link'.

You can then paste that into a terminal for wget to use.

\o/

Nick
P.S. if you have SSH configured correctly on your Pi, you can use FTP to move stuff about rather than frig around with a USB stick.
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

Kimdino

Postby Kimdino » Fri Sep 09 2016 - 17:03:22

Cheers Nick,

Unfortunately, I can't have the Pi on the same network as my main box. I would love to be able to setup samba file sharing.
However, just to be able to type in something on my rpi keyboard as I read it from my main box monitor is all that is desired. So, thanks for the Firefox tip.

And can you help spread the word to webpage admins on behalf of us poor CLI junkies :).

Kimdino

linicks

Postby linicks » Fri Sep 09 2016 - 17:11:24

Samba? Uh? That is a GNU/Linux application to access MS windows file systems thing. FTP is just what is says 'File Transfer Protocol'.

OK, back to the issue. Pi is not on your main network. How do you administer it then? Does it just have it's own monitor and keyboard? Obviously it's on the Internet?

There must be a simple way to get the required URL to it without any palaver.

Nick
P.S. forgot. A lot of sites now use a back-end database to produce URL's on the fly, hence why wget can't be used - the link changes and is hidden until the download starts - once you have it though, the TTL has to remain a certain amount of time else the standards break. I think this approach in not producing a 'direct' URL is now done to stop people abusing it/and/or/ stuff in the 'cloud' that changes on the fly when requests come in. Bloody javascript is the villian here to allow it to happen!
P.P.S do you have the text browsers 'links' or 'lynx' installed on the Pi?

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Postby Exaga » Fri Sep 09 2016 - 17:33:48

linicks wrote:Go through all the motions and get Firefox to start downloading the file, then STOP IT. Now click the download arrow icon, hover over the file that you just started downloading, and then right click on that and select 'copy download link'.

You can then paste that into a terminal for wget to use.

\o/

Nick

I love how you make everything seem so easy. Top marks for this tip! Nice one Nick. :1337:
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Fri Sep 09 2016 - 17:48:37

Well, I am a Slacker of over 10 years, so what else you expect from all of us in here ;)

Sometimes the right question needs to be asked to get the right answer that we have all solved over the years but forgotten about.

Nick

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Sep 09 2016 - 18:26:36

linicks wrote:Sometimes the right question needs to be asked to get the right answer that we have all solved over the years but forgotten about.

You're right there.
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Sat Sep 10 2016 - 12:27:32

Whatever was I thinking? I've been a Slacker since 2002, so that is 14 years - I was stuck in 2012 there for a minute :D

Nick

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”