dwm window manager

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
linicks

dwm window manager

Postby linicks » Mon Sep 19 2016 - 19:52:48

Hi All,

Stumbled on this today just a one binary window manger - by jeezes is it fast and easy and an obviuos choice for a Pi.

http://dwm.suckless.org

My lowly notebook boots up (passwords, start X etc) and I am on the Internet in 38 seconds!

Took me about an hour of reading the tutourial to understand how to get around, and you also have to change the config.h to get whatever terminal you use, but I am well impressed.

Nick
https://linicks.net/

Q. What is the difference between a duck and an elephant?
A. You can't get down off an elephant.

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: dwm window manager

Postby Exaga » Wed Oct 05 2016 - 17:05:36

Hey Nick,

On the off-chance that you might be looking for a really good, cheap, and seriously reliable usb wifi adapter for the Rpi, take a look at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161877200292

The chip is a RT2870 and runs on Slackware ARM using the rt2x00usb driver. I've had one of these running 24/7 for almost a week and it's not faulted once. As a result I've ordered another 2 of them. :D

In fact, if the adapter is plugged in when Slackware ARM boots the module is loaded automagically. You don't even have to modprobe! You can't beat them for the price. The speed is damned good, and certainly as good as the best of any other wifi dongles I've got. They have a pretty little blue LED which flickers when there's activity. Woooooo!!! :high:
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Wed Oct 05 2016 - 17:27:17

I don't have much trouble with the wifi dongles I got - the only issue is my cheap range extender needs a reboot once a month - it doen't seem to clear the logs and makes the Pi's start disconnecting/connecting once a day.

BTW, seeing as this is now totally off topic :D

I have read a few slack books/docs on wireless, but can't find the solution.

Here is the issue.

I reboot my range extander, and both the Pi's that connect to it immediatley resync with my main AP about 60 feet away (and two rooms). OK, they are still on my network, but at 30% signal rather than 100%.

Is there a way you can configure the wireless script to _only_ join one MAC address wireless station?

I can do it in XFCE4 network manager on my notebook as there is an option (as the reverse used to happen here - if I rebooted the main AP, my notebook would connect to the extender!).

Nick

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Wed Oct 05 2016 - 21:01:27

linicks wrote:I reboot my range extander, and both the Pi's that connect to it immediatley resync with my main AP about 60 feet away (and two rooms). OK, they are still on my network, but at 30% signal rather than 100%.

Is there a way you can configure the wireless script to _only_ join one MAC address wireless station?

I can do it in XFCE4 network manager on my notebook as there is an option (as the reverse used to happen here - if I rebooted the main AP, my notebook would connect to the extender!).

It depends what you're using to extend your wireless network. If each of the extenders has its own IP address (like using a Linksys WRT54g as a wireless repeater) then yes. Otherwise I'm in the same boat as you. Have you considered MAC filtering? Is that an option on the set-up you have?
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Thu Oct 06 2016 - 20:04:27

Exaga wrote:
It depends what you're using to extend your wireless network. If each of the extenders has its own IP address (like using a Linksys WRT54g as a wireless repeater) then yes. Otherwise I'm in the same boat as you. Have you considered MAC filtering? Is that an option on the set-up you have?

Yes, I have TP-Link cheapo wireless extender on it's own IP - but as I say, I am at a loss how to configure this in rc.inet1.conf

I have looked at MAC filtering, but then though against it, as I could lock myself out of my own network if it all goes tits-up!

Thanks for any help.

Nick
P.S. on my lowly Samsung notebook running Slackware here in Pafos, Cyprus on holiday using an old mythree wireless PAYG dongle - works brilliant!

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Fri Oct 07 2016 - 11:51:50

linicks wrote:
Exaga wrote:

Yes, I have TP-Link cheapo wireless extender on it's own IP - but as I say, I am at a loss how to configure this in rc.inet1.conf

I have looked at MAC filtering, but then though against it, as I could lock myself out of my own network if it all goes tits-up!

Thanks for any help.

Nick
P.S. on my lowly Samsung notebook running Slackware here in Pafos, Cyprus on holiday using an old mythree wireless PAYG dongle - works brilliant!

Hope the weather is good!

I've actually got a guide planned and in the pipeline for connecting wirelessly with Slackware ARM on a RPi.

For now, http://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:wifi is what I go back to every time I need wireless knowledge. :lol:

I sometimes use wicd-curses to setup my wireless connections too. Most of the time I do it by hand.
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Sat Oct 08 2016 - 15:48:57

OK, thanks, but as I said I have gone through all the Slackware docs regarding networking, but nowhere can I find how to tell a wireless connection to only join one device.

xfce4 network manager can do it, so there must be a way.

Anyway, no big deal - something to look at again when I am home.

BTW 35C+ everyday here :)

Nick

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Sat Oct 08 2016 - 17:09:52

linicks wrote:OK, thanks, but as I said I have gone through all the Slackware docs regarding networking, but nowhere can I find how to tell a wireless connection to only join one device.

xfce4 network manager can do it, so there must be a way.

Anyway, no big deal - something to look at again when I am home.

BTW 35C+ everyday here :)

Nick

Try wicd-curses Nick. It works for me. ;)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Sat Oct 08 2016 - 17:36:04

OK, don't try this on holiday :)

I ssh'ed into my server, ssh'ed from there into my pitest server and installed wicd.

I then launched wicd-curses... and saw the scan screen. The it locked up. Restting the terminal I found pitest is now AWOL.

Hah ha.

I will not try that again 2000 miles from home.

Nick

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Sat Oct 08 2016 - 18:23:49

Errr... oops! :lol:

It wasn't me. 8-)

Enjoy your holiday, Nick. Forget about being a geek for now. hehe
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Wed Oct 19 2016 - 20:19:21

linicks wrote:I then launched wicd-curses... and saw the scan screen. The it locked up. Restting the terminal I found pitest is now AWOL.

Nick - http://sarpi.fatdog.eu/index.php?p=wireless-nic

hope it helps in some small way. 8-)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

linicks

Postby linicks » Thu Oct 20 2016 - 17:51:47

Sorry, forogt to update this saga.

When I got home from holiday, the testpi was still up but AWOL on the network. After a power out - ON, the logs showed wicd was OK, but it was looking for dhcpd daemon, which I don't have installed - so the wireless just shut down.

Anyway, thinking, I suppose it's a good idea that if the extender goes down, it connects to the AP - so I would always have access to the thing. If it didn't and the extender died, I would mount the SDCard and edit it to get it going again.

BTW, thanks for the guide - will have a look at it over the weekend.

Nick

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”