Kernel Source and Headers

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
amigauser1

Kernel Source and Headers

Postby amigauser1 » Fri Mar 31 2017 - 08:35:52

Hi!

does anybody know where I could find the Kernel-Sources an -Headers for the currently used Kernel in SaRPi (at the moment 4.9.12)?

Thanks!

Oliver

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: Kernel Source and Headers

Postby Exaga » Fri Mar 31 2017 - 19:41:11

amigauser1 wrote:does anybody know where I could find the Kernel-Sources an -Headers for the currently used Kernel in SaRPi (at the moment 4.9.12)?

Is there any reason you need kernel 4.9.12 source specifically?
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

amigauser1

Postby amigauser1 » Sat Apr 01 2017 - 14:59:52

The SarPi-Installation I'm using at the moment uses Kernel 4.9.12. I thougt if I want to compile a module e.g. driver for a SAT-Receiver(compilation of that driver needs the Header-Files) I would need the Sources and Headers for the running kernel. Am I wrong here?

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Sun Apr 02 2017 - 10:17:56

amigauser1 wrote:The SarPi-Installation I'm using at the moment uses Kernel 4.9.12. I thougt if I want to compile a module e.g. driver for a SAT-Receiver(compilation of that driver needs the Header-Files) I would need the Sources and Headers for the running kernel. Am I wrong here?

You don't need the full kernel source tree data in order to compile or build drivers/modules for the running kernel. Only when building a new complete kernel will you need the full kernel source, obviously. As you're wanting to compile a device driver which links into the kernel you'll only need the header files. The header files are already part of your Slackware ARM system, or should be, and can be found in /usr/include/linux.

If you ever do require the complete kernel source, for whatever reason, you could always upgrade your Raspberry Pi's Slackware ARM system kernel/modules/firmware to the latest available version (e.g. using rpi-update) and download the kernel source files from the Raspberry Pi Foundation GitHub repository.
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

amigauser1

Postby amigauser1 » Sun Apr 02 2017 - 13:34:51

Thanks for the explanation.
The Header-Files are part of Slackware ARM but slackware-current is still at 4.8.15 and the latest packages from SarPi which i used for upgrading are 4.9.12 so the Headers from slackware-current are too old :-(
I've been already using rpi-update in the past, but I don't like its way to bypass (any) package-management. I like the method "upgradepkg ..." better. But this leads to the described inconsistencies. So the question is, if the SarPi-Project is releasing an update for the Firmware-/Kernel/-Modules-tgz woukd it be possible to also release the appropiate Update to the Headers-tgz?

Regards

Oliver

Exaga

Postby Exaga » Sun Apr 02 2017 - 16:07:08

amigauser1 wrote:If the SarPi-Project is releasing an update for the Firmware-/Kernel/-Modules-tgz woukd it be possible to also release the appropiate Update to the Headers-tgz?

I haven't got any plans to provide a Linux headers package. Although there's nothing to stop you from creating it for your own purposes. ;)
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

amigauser1

Postby amigauser1 » Sun Apr 02 2017 - 21:26:51

No, there's nearly nothing to stop me from creating one... but this leads back to my initial question: Where to download the Headers for ARM/Pi?
But nevermind I found them on the net meanwhile.

Thanks

Oliver

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”