slackware rpi installers

The SARPi project forum. For anything and everything relating to Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi 1, 2, and 3. This forum is NOT a replacement or substitute for the Slackware (ARM) forums on Linux Questions website! Please try to seek help there first about any issues you may be experiencing, or question you might have, before posting on here.
Koordex

slackware rpi installers

Postby Koordex » Fri Mar 29 2013 - 13:02:27

hi,

great website although lengthy it actually works! :D

i've been doing some testing with various slackware installers on my rpi and found some interesting differences. i was wondering why?

- the fatdog image.zx is 41MB and installs on my sd card in seconds. on your website it says you used the image at dave's collective as a template but yours only contains the boot partition after i write it to my card. then i have to follow the website guide which takes a long time. is fatdog planning on releasing any images which i can write to my card without having to go through the instructions every time? it would be much easier for users like me.
:lol:

- dave's collective image.zx file is 41MB and takes around 20-30 minutes to write to my card. does it take longer to write because it contains 3 partitions instead of just the boot partition like on fatdogs image? it looks basically the same. what's the difference between dave's image and fatdogs?

- stanley garvey's image.zip is 1.5GB and really slow to download. plus i get a corrupt archive when I try to unzip it. the 16GB image.zip file shows much the same errors. when I tried the raspberrypi-installer.zip my rpi seems to boot properly with flashing leds but all i get is a blank screen. i've given up trying to use the images on his website because they just dont seem to work although other people seem to have got them working ok. any ideas???

- ponce's image.gz looks the same as dave's and fatdogs images but is almost twice the file size to download and takes around the same time to write to my card as dave's image. why is fatdogs installer image so quick to write to a sd card in comparison?

why is there so much difference between images when they're all supposed to be doing the same thing? it's all very confusing. i'm just trying to install slackware on my rpi the easiest way possible. your guide works great but does take a long time to go through.
Koordex

joe90

Re: slackware rpi installers

Postby joe90 » Fri Mar 29 2013 - 14:25:04

I'm amazed the FatDog slackarm installer image writes to my 32gb SD card so quickly. I typed the xz -dc command, blinked a few times, and there it is! I thought its ended early due to error but no. Its perfect!

Good work and thanks! 8-)

PS - Glad you finally open the forum for public use. :P
Joe

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: slackware rpi installers

Postby Exaga » Fri Mar 29 2013 - 23:19:46

Koordex wrote:hi,

why is there so much difference between images when they're all supposed to be doing the same thing? it's all very confusing. i'm just trying to install slackware on my rpi the easiest way possible. your guide works great but does take a long time to go through.

Hey Koordex,

I can't speak for any other Slackware ARM installer image than our own. There's minimal difference between our image and Dave Spencer's. The main changes are being able to install Xfce as a desktop environment on Slackware ARM 13.37, 14.0 and current, with the image we provide without having to install it as a separate package later.

If you're finding the installation guide a bit too much time and effort to bother with then maybe you might be better using another distribution (i.e. Raspbian) to install on your Raspberry Pi.

@Joe90: Thank you. Glad you find it useful. :)

Cheers,
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

Return to “SARPi Project - Slackware ARM on a Raspberry Pi”