Introduction

Say "Hello!" to the community and take the opportunity to tell FatDog something about you.
moonstroller

Introduction

Postby moonstroller » Tue Dec 24 2013 - 10:21:55

Hi, I'm moonstroller, US, Georgia. Age 62.
I'm pleased to be here in this forum. I recently purchased a Raspberry PI and I'm having some problems with the SD cards (I bought them cheap on sale -- Sandisk SDHC * GB). 5 bucks each.

I've been using Slackware since, around 1994. It's the only OS I will ever use. I think I will enjoy the RP and I have many uses for it, mostly for parallel programming and home security.

Thank you.
moonstroller
Freedom was never Free. It always cost Blood, Sweat and Tears. Enjoy your freedom and respect those who paid dearly
to purchase it for you. :)

Exaga
FatDog Network Administrator
FatDog Network Administrator

Re: Introduction

Postby Exaga » Wed Dec 25 2013 - 11:48:17

Hi moonstroller,

Welcome and Merry Christmas!

It's great to hear that you're an avid Slacker plus you have a fondness for the Raspberry Pi which is something I can affiliate with completely. 8-)

Some SD cards simply won't play ball. I have quite a few SD cards myself of varying capacities and I've found that some are more reliable than others when using them as a "fixed disk" - something they are, "Not designed to do." So most of the manufacturers tell us. At FatDog.eu we have found the Kingston SD10G2 family of SD cards work flawlessly with Slackware ARM on the Raspberry Pi. After the New Year I'm hoping to personally do some testing with the Kingston SD10G3 range of SD cards and, hopefully, the SDA10 range too.

I had a SanDisk 8GB SD card but I'd used it so much the plastic casing split and the lock/unlock switch fell off! I tried to glue it back together but my efforts were unsuccessful. It's now in SD card heaven. :D

Hope you have a great time over the festive period. Cheers!
Exaga

====
__ KEEP THE DOG ALIVE!!!
()'`; /
/\|` W00f W00f W00f
www.fatdog.eu

St1

Re: Introduction

Postby St1 » Fri Dec 27 2013 - 16:18:23

Welcome! :D
"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses;
it is an idea that possesses the mind." Robert Bolton